Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jen McLaughlin: OUT OF LINE

Check out this interview I did with Jen over at The Writer Diaries!

Who to Watch For: Jen McLaughlin, author of OUT OF LINE

Today we have a two-fer for you. An author interview and a review of her great book, OUT OF LINE. It's New Adult, sexy, and has a great story. It's the first in a trilogy and the second, OUT OF TIME is out December 17th. Basically, I'm saying as soon as you finish the interview, run out and read the first one in time for book two.

Our Guest is Jen McLaughlin.





First up - the interview.




Tell us a bit about you.
Well, I’m the New York Times and USA Today bestselling New Adult author Jen McLaughlin (otherwise known as Diane Alberts, who writes Adult Romance) and I live in Pennsylvania. I’ve been married for over eleven years, and we have four children!
 Tell us about your book.
Out Of Line came to me one day, and it wouldn’t leave me alone until I finished it. Right away, I had this vision not only for the book, but for where I wanted the entire series to go. It was all crystal clear from the beginning, and it’s been quite a ride!
  
      What inspired you to write Out of Line? I know this is a trilogy. Any hints as to where it might go?
Nothing in particular. I just got the first scene in my head, and I sat down to write. I wasn’t sure I could do New Adult, since I’d never done it before, but the idea wouldn’t leave me alone. And once I started…I couldn’t stop!
And, as far as hints…not every book in the series is as light as Out Of Line. That’s the most I’ll say. ;)
(Interviewer note: I know some things about the upcoming books...and you're going to want to read them!)
Do you have a process you follow when you write? Any funny quirks?
Hmm. I have a huge whiteboard where I write out plot points and character arcs. Then I kind of just sit down and let the words come. It’s weird how it works that way! Also? I need coffee. I can’t write without it.
      What brought you to your decisions about your publishing path?
I like doing books with both a publisher and on my own. Certain books fit better with one or the other, so I think it’s great to keep an open mind about either venture. I’m open to pretty much anything…if it’s right for the book! You just have to go with your gut. Luckily, I have a fabulous team behind me, led by my super-agent Louise Fury, so I know that no matter what I choose, I’ll be okay.
How has the experience been?
Amazing! I learn something new every day! And with Out Of Line, it’s been great being the one “in charge” of all the art/editors/formatters. I’m kind of a control freak at times, so it’s nice! LOL!
Do you use music when you write? Any one song sum up a character or this story for you?
Yes, absolutely. I have a “Maroon 5” Pandora station, and it plays the same songs every day. It’s kind of my writing music, and I need it! And “Better than Me” by Hinder sums up Finn, and “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis is Carrie, I’d say.
(Interviewer note: I agree with those songs. They're perfect.)
How long did it take you to write this book?
Three weeks! It wouldn’t leave me alone! Then there was a bunch of editing, of course, but from start to finish of rough draft? Three weeks. Maybe a little less.
  
      Why and when did you know you wanted to be a writer?
Um…I think I was, like, seven. I wrote a poem for my mom and signed it, then told her to save it because it would be worth money some day when I was a famous author. I think I was…thirteen? Maybe? LOL
  
      How is it being a published author? Different, same, more/less pressure?
I feel a bit more pressure to make everyone happy, but besides that…it’s all good! I love being a writer, and I love doing what I do. I feel incredibly blessed to be able to do so.
Five Fun Facts
Favorite food: Steak
Favorite movie: Phantom of the Opera
Pets (how many, names): Dog (Joey), cat (Gavroche), Senegal parrot (Kiwi), and a bunch of fish in my husband’s salt water tank.
Lucky number: 6
Best fortune cookie you’ve gotten (or make one up for us!): You shall be successful.
 Thanks for visiting with us! I loved your book and can't wait for the second! 
Find all things Jen/Diane at:
Twitter            Website         Jen's Books        Diane's Books         


Jen McLaughlin is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. She writes steamy, bestselling New Adult books for the young and young at heart. Her first release, Out Of Line, came out September 10, 2013. It hit both lists within the first week of release. She also writes bestselling Contemporary Romance under the pen name Diane Alberts. She is represented by Louise Fury at The Bent Agency.
 Though she lives in the mountains, she really wishes she was surrounded by a hot, sunny beach with crystal clear water. She lives in Northeast Pennsylvania with her four kids, a husband, a schnauzer mutt, a cat, and a Senegal parrot. In the rare moments when she’s not writing, she can usually be found hunched over one knitting project or another. Her goal is to write so many well-crafted romance books that even a non-romance reader will know her name.
 I highly recommend this series. I read the entire book in one sitting...the first time. I've had multiple reads of this book and it keeps getting better. I can't wait for the second one, and since I know what's coming, I'm looking most forward to the third. You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment