Monday, October 29, 2012

The Plan and Nano and beyond!

So I came up with a plan. It's a good plan. A brilliant plan even.


So brilliant and sensible in fact I have to wonder if I have a second personality I'm not aware of. To quote Tin Cup, "Me and Normal don't often collide in the same sentence."

But here it is.

October (the whole three last days of it) - finish historical romance. The first draft at least. I need about 7000 more words.

Then NaNoWriMo. (For those of you who read this that aren't writing nerds, NaNo is National Novel Writing Month and you put up at least 50K in words in a month)
Which makes you do this:





But then at the end you're all:




So I'll be writing a New Adult mystery thriller about...I'll save that for another post :)

So here's where The Plan comes in.

I write a lot. No. I mean a lot. And I've been doing this, and trying to make something of it, for a year. I've been writing my whole life. Diaries, notebooks upon notebooks full of things, on napkins, anywhere I could find surface and a writing utensil. But now that I've decided to add not just "writer" but "author" to my roster, I have been putting down ALL the words.

And sometimes I think, it's too many words. (Like June for instance, I wrote well over 100K. That's a lot, friends.)

Honestly, I thought I was slacking in that department. I thought I was barely keeping up. So i wrote more, worked harder. Turns out, true to form, I'm a freak of nature.

Since November first last year I have finished, polished, revised, polished, slightly revised and queried an Adult contemporary. I wrote it's sequel which is out with my crit partners. I wrote a NA Novella. I wrote a Paranormal romance, dissected it, revised it, threw 80K words in the trash and started revising again. I'm finishing a historical romance right now. And I have about 20-25K each on four other projects, plus a list of ideas as long as my arm.

Which makes me wanna do this:



But here's the thing. I think I'm writing because I'm scared. I keep writing new stuff because then I don't have to polish, listen to critiques, revise, query, face rejection, or any of the non-fun parts of writing.

I just keep writing new, saying as soon as I finish this! But no more!

So here's the plan:

October: finish current WIP (work in progress)

November: NaNo (write new shiny)


December: NO words! Just Critting, beta reading, real reading, NO writing!


And then the plan really commences. IN the new year, I'm going to revise, polish, finish things I have started and revise and polish them too. I will be diligent and not scared of querying. I will get my books out there. I want an agent, but I'm not going to get one if I keep sending out the one thing I have done and nothing else!

So that's plan. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, (Like how I make you think you have a choice?) is to keep me on track. Keep to the code. No wait, that's something different.

When I start to divert, please shove me back in this direction. Remind me of this moment of clarity. Because that's about how long this idea will sound good to me. One single moment.

Hey look - a new shiny idea!

NO! Stick to the plan. And I'll be like this!
Like a boss!



9 comments:

  1. I think I'm writing because I'm scared. I keep writing new stuff because then I don't have to polish, listen to critiques, revise, query, face rejection, or any of the non-fun parts of writing.

    THIS! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to know someone else feels this way too!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH ANGI I AM THE EXACT SAME WAY!!!

    We're like, two people in the same brain or something... I've been writing/polishing/revising SIGHT for a YEAR AND A HALF. That's just crazy talk. But it's because I've had so many NEW-awesome-SHINY ideas take up time and energy in the meantime. BEcause I was pregnant, I don't think I wrote NEAR as much as you did, but I sure got distracted enough...

    Here's a secret: I have yet to send a SINGLE query letter.

    *headdesk*

    My plan - even before I read this post - was to do exactly as you stated above. FINISH, then POLISH, then QUERY the HECK outta this thing. I'll keep you on track if you keep me on track.

    Deal? *scared face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darci - you have a deal, darling! I've got your back, it's so nice to know you have mine!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Will be curious to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll follow up this post with an update!

      Delete
  4. Expect to be creative...expect to stay on the write (right) road...ignore the human detours..

    ReplyDelete