Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ever by Jessa Russo. Or The book you'll want today.

                                     Hey friends! This is my friend, Jessa Russo.
An unashamed super fan of all things paranormal romance, Jessa Russo reads, writes and breathes paranormal YA, rarely straying from her comfort zone. When not writing or reading, Jessa enjoys making memories with her awesome family and amazingly supportive friends, while secretly planning her next trip to New Orleans. She’s won a few flash fiction contests and had a short story published, but feels her greatest accomplishment is raising the coolest kid ever – a little girl with a Tim Burton obsession and a desire to save every animal she sees.



Jessa will always call Southern California home, where she lives with her husband Jon, their daughter Faith, Bronco the Great Dane and Lola the Chihuahua.
 

         Isn't she pretty? And brains too!She wrote this fabulous book.

  Seventeen-year-old Ever’s love life has been on hold for the past two years. She’s secretly in love with her best friend Frankie, and he’s completely oblivious.



Of course, it doesn't help that he’s dead, and waking up to his ghost every day has made moving on nearly impossible.

Frustrated and desperate for something real, Ever finds herself falling for her hot new neighbor Toby. His relaxed confidence is irresistible, and not just Ever knows it. But falling for Toby comes with a price that throws Ever’s life into a whirlwind of chaos and drama. More than hearts are on the line, and more than Ever will suffer.

Some girls lose their hearts to love.

Some girls lose their minds.

                                                        Ever Van Ruysdael could lose her soul.


But just like so many of us writerly types we need more than a keyboard to write our story. We need music. So for today's blog stop, Jessa has shared the songs that inspired her while she wrote Ever. Here's a chance to get inside the mind of a writer. Enjoy! 

 Though I don’t listen to music while I write – except for the occasional need for classical when I’m feeling particularly chaotic – I do have a short playlist for EVER. There are a few songs that really spoke to me while writing Ever, Frankie and Toby’s stories, and I have added notes to them below. The other songs are part of the timeline of the story (I can see where they’d be in the movie – lol) or are just particularly haunting.


Lana del Rey – Dark Paradise – This is Ever’s song. I think this song is dark and hopeful all at the same time, which is somewhat like Ever.

Black Keys – These Days  This is Toby’s song. I listen to it when I need to get inside his head. His soundtrack is pretty much all Black Keys, all the time, but this song especially. The pain in this song is so Toby to me. He’s got a wall up around him and a chip on his shoulder, but not because he’s a bad guy. He just knows he’s the only person he can depend on.

J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers – Last Kiss – Frankie’s story wrote (re-wrote) itself because of this song. Originally, way back in first draft mode, Frankie had been a ghost who had been eighteen-years-old when he died in the 1950’s, and for whatever reason, was one of many ghosts stuck in Ever’s home. But one day this song came on – one of my all-time favorites, by the way – and the story rewrote itself. I could see Frankie and Ever in their last moments together after the car accident – both deeply in love with the other and unwilling to speak the words, even when facing death. I revised and rewrote, and Frankie’s story was told. So this will forever be Frankie’s song. 

Helen Jane Long – Porcelain (Instrumental)

Blue Foundation – Eyes on Fire Without a doubt, this is Ariadne's Song. I know, I know, this is a song that everyone and their mother already know because of TWILIGHT. But it is so Ariadne to me. She’s conniving and confident and I just think this song fits her so well. And frankly, this song is badass.

Jewel – Foolish Games

Black Keys – Too Afraid to Love You

Lana Del Rey – Kinda Outta Luck

Peter Hollens – Sleepwalking 

Mumford and Sons – I Will Wait – This song always reminds me of Frankie’s unwavering love for Ever – even when she’s making choices that are not in his favor, he loves her still.

Bliss – A Last Meeting (Instrumental)

Jason Mraz – I Won’t Give Up

Elisa – Dancing –
 Frankie and Ever’s Song. My critique partner introduced me to this one and WOW. What a beautiful, haunting song. 

Here's where to find the goodness to hold in your hands. 





Here's where you can find out all you want to know about Jessa! 




Thanks so much for sharing with us Jessa!  Now, what are you waiting for? Go get your own copy!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I myself find a large portion of my inspiration from music, so it is good to know I am not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. people are found various things.i am very happy to join this site.some thing special in this side.this site is very special.
    Gebelik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could help! - :) Have you heard my version of "I won't give up" ? I love Jason's song and did my own version.

    ReplyDelete