Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Writer's Voice Contest

So friends, fam, and followers...this is a groovy little contest called The Writer's Voice and I made it to the first round. Feel free to read and encourage (I highly recommend the encouraging part) the following query and first chapters. Follow my blog and leave warm, fuzzy comments below. Love in Real Life is Adult Romance. Enjoy! And wish me luck!!!!






Josey Blackman has moved to L.A. and found the perfect life. She has it all – the house, the kid, the husband and it seems to be enough. Running her dance studio and being a mother take up most of her time and keeps her mind from dwelling on the past. Still, Josey feels something is missing.
            Alex Blake is the biggest thing in Hollywood. Famous and successful from a young age, not only is he a star but also the owner of a production company. When the opportunity to audition for latest movie presents itself, Josey jumps at the chance. She can’t know how much that moment will change her life forever. Instant chemistry boils between Josey and Alex. She wins the role of his leading lady as well as his heart.
            But no matter what they feel for each other, theirs is a romance that can never be. Josey is married, has a daughter she adores and a past that will haunt her forever. Alex leaves a string of warm beds and good times in his wake. Both are perfectly happy with their lives until they meet each other. Now everything they believed they wanted has changed. The only thing they want is each other.
            When Josey is confronted with the secrets of her past and forced to take a long hard look at her present, choices she never dreamed possible rise before her to determine her future.
            Love In Real Life is an Adult Romance, 77, 118 words in length, about the curveballs life throws after you find happily ever after. It’s a stand-alone novel with series potential. Thank you for your time and consideration.



Josey -
             I stepped into the shower. I had decided every little detail about it, Drew spared no expense when it came to me, so it was perfect. I guess that made almost 6 years of being spoiled that way. Wow. Had I really been married that long? I adjusted the water to the perfect temp and reached my hand out along the wall until I reached my iPod, sitting idly in the dock. I pushed the play button. “Time is Running out” by Muse. Great. . Please don’t be too prophetic. I washed my hair and tried to prepare for the day ahead.
            I stood in the shower longer than I should have. The hot water felt so good on my tense shoulders. Dancing as much as I had lately will do that to you. Make you one gigantic pretzel knot of muscles. I needed a massage. Imagining that, I relaxed each muscle as strong pretend hands worked out the angry spots, one by one, limb by limb. I breathed deeply, putting my hands on the wall in front of me, closing my eyes. Hands on my skin. Mmmm. So nice.
 Then I heard footsteps. It was Rose, my four year old. She came running into the bathroom. She was perfect. Smart, funny, beautiful, healthy. Exactly what I wanted.
            “Mama, did you make my lunch yet?”
            “Mama will be out in just a second. Are you dressed?” Same questions, different morning.
            “Yes.” she answered with her sweet little voice.      
           


22 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad the clicky fingers were on your side. I've got my fingers crossed for ya, you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I like this so far! I don't read a lot of adult romance, but I'm definitely intrigued by the premise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes Angi! Sounds like an intriguing read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angi, I need to read this! Love the idea of finding love at the wrong time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read romance novels, but this sounds like a fun read. I can't wait to find out what decisions your characters make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I really loved the showing (not telling) you did in parts of your query (like the warm beds). Awesome writing, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great story! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Girl! I can't wait to get my hands on this book! Your style is so different and that makes it perfectly alluring... Please keep it up! Great Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement! I hope to put a book in your hands soon too, Janna!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angi, I'm visiting your blog from the Writer's Voice Contest (entry #58), and I wanted to wish you the best of luck! I'm also now your newest follower, so: nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Matthew! Good Luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the real life part and how it's not perfect. Or how perfect suddenly isn't! Good luck! Nice first 250! Brandi #199

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Brandi, good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hero's last name is Blake, too. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As mother of a 3 year old, I giggled at the "Same questions. Different morning." =) Good luck!

    Krystalyn #87

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Angi, I made a huge mistake! I read your first 250, before I read your premise. The tone of your writing is soothing and as gentle as the shower your protagonist is taking, the sweet voice of her child is… sweet.
    And then the harsh reality of your query, can betrayal lead to true love, or is it doomed to disaster? Very nice stuff! Good luck (and btw – I think I’ve seen only 2 other Adult Romances so far!)

    ReplyDelete